Act as POAC for Top Fenders, completing STS operations in Lome, Togo in accordance with TF
policies and procedures and OCIMF guidelines.
Main job function
• Act as brand ambassador for Top Fenders
• Act as POAC for STS operations both underway and at anchor
• Comply with procedures and OCIMF STS Checklists
• Always maintain safe operations and be prepared to stop the job
• Inspect and deploy STS equipment correctly
• Confidently lead Joint Plan of Operations
• Complete safety rounds and checks
• Report near miss and incidents
• Carrying out additional tasks as directed by STS Superintendent/Head of HSEQ.
• Masters COC
• Valid DCE
• Ship simulator course
• Valid medical
• All STCW certificates
• Knowledge of local area of work
• Adaptable & Flexible, proven record of achievement within marine STS operations.
• Confident communicator
In addition to the above, and when acting as POAC, the role will require the following;
• Act as a brand ambassador for TFL.
• Comply with the Top Fenders Limited Operating procedures and OCIMF STS check lists.
• Verifies that agreed STS operating procedures are followed and that the operation is conducted in compliance with all applicable regulatory requirements.
• Thoroughly reviews the STS compatibility check list outcome and ensure compliance with Operational Advice Message (OAM) from operations team.
• Coordinates with operation team to gather information and ensure a mooring plan is prepared well in advance.
• Inspects both client and 3rd party related STS equipment before and after each STS operation to ensure suitability for the STS operation.
• Use empowerment authority to reject both Top Fenders Ltd and 3rd party STS equipment if considered unsuitable for STS operation.
• Oversees the correct placement of primary and secondary fenders.
• Conducts a safety round upon boarding STS vessel and reviews vessels mooring equipment.
• Conducts a pre-operation discussion with the responsible persons of both STS vessels, including lightering support craft and tugs as appropriate.
• Confirms that personnel involved in each part of the operation are properly briefed and understand their responsibilities.
• Effectively leads the Joint Plan of Operations meeting with both vessels Masters’ to discuss and agree following points where applicable;
- Emphasize that safety of operation is TFL top priority;
- Location specific risk assessment for each STS operation;
- Approach, mooring, anchoring and unmooring plan;
- TFL Weather criteria for operation, including current and forecasted weather conditions and the need for their continuous monitoring throughout the operation;
- Agree with both vessels that approach and mooring operations must not be attempted until there is a proper and an effective communication between the vessels, and the pre-mooring checks have been completed;
- For ‘at sea’ transfers, discuss passage plan and agree courses/speeds for manoeuvring and mooring operations;
- Supervise vessels approach and manoeuvring alongside;
- Requirements for safety rounds to prevent any incidents;
- Hose connection, suspension draining and disconnection procedure;
- Specifies importance of open, clear communication and compliance with Mooring
- Master’s advice
• Advises the Master(s) of the critical phases of the cargo transfer, mooring and unmooring operation;
• Ensures operational updates, including fatigue management is provided regularly to LSV.
• Ensure time sheet tally’s with operational updates.
• Confirms that all required reports are made to the appropriate authorities.
• Ensures that all required checklists are duly completed and submitted.
• Oversees the safe connection of transfer hoses/arms and associated emergency release systems (ERS).
• Verifies that any emergency shut down (ESD) system is properly connected and tested.
• Confirms that cargo transfer rates are being monitored together with associated vapour management procedures.
• Verifies that the integrity of the mooring arrangement is continuously monitored.
• Ensure that the contingency plans are activated in the event of an emergency.
• Verifies that cargo transfer lines are properly drained and, where required, purged.
• Ensures hoses are safely disconnected and secured with blank flanges/hose flange covers. The blank flanges / hose flange covers must be fully bolted always when not being used.
• Supervises the unmooring and the separation of vessels.
• Supervises the return of primary and secondary fenders and transfer equipment to safe storage.
• Duly report incidents and near miss in compliance with company procedure providing all necessary details in a timely manner.
• Mooring Master should not sign any documents related to cargo quantity or quality, except
LOP (for receipt only)
• An appropriate management level deck license (Master’s COC > 3000 GRT)
• Completion of 50 STS operations acting as POAC;
• Attendance at suitable ship-handling course;
• Thorough knowledge of the geographic transfer area and surrounding areas; and
• Thorough knowledge of the STS Plan.
• GMDSS- GOC;
• Dangerous Cargo Endorsement (DEC) – Oil Tanker
• Dangerous Cargo Endorsement (DEC) – Gas Tanker - if we want him to assign LPG ops
• Valid medical certificate
• 5 days STS simulator course from any Government approved maritime training institute
• Oil spill cleanup training
• Oil tanker Familiarization - (STCW - Table A-V/1-1-1)
• Gas tanker Familiarization - (STCW- Table A-V/1-2-1)
• Advance Oil Tanker Course - (STCW- Table A-V/1-1-2)
• Advance Gas Tanker Course - (STCW Table A-V/1-2-2
• Basic Fire Fighting Course - (STCW Table A-VI/1-2)
• Advanced Fire Fighting Course - (STCW Table A-VI/3)
• Personal Survival Techniques - (STCW A-VI/1-1)
• Personal Safety and Social Responsibilities - (STCW Table A-VI/1-4)
• Proficiency in Survival Craft and Rescue Boats - (STCW Table A-VI/2-2)
• ECDIS - (STCW Regulation II/2 and III/2)
• Ship Security Officers (SSO) - (STCW Table A-VI/5)
• Proficiency in Medical Care - (STCW Table A-VI/4-2)
• Bridge Team Management - (STCW Table A-II/1)
• Bridge Resource Management - (STCW Table A-II/2)
• Human Element & Leadership Management - (STCW- Regulation II/2 and III/2)
The role reports directly into the STS Super Intendent.
3 weeks on/ 3 weeks off, remuneration dependant on experience.